The Florida Capitol Press Corps is pleased to announce that 12 college students have been awarded the Barbara L. Frye Scholarship for 2013.
The $2,000 scholarship is awarded annually to graduating high school seniors and college students planning to pursue a career in journalism. Students who attended high school in Florida or are enrolled at a Florida college or university are eligible to apply. This year’s winners were chosen from a record number of applicants and a competitive field of promising young journalists.
The 2013 winners are:
· Anthony Cave, of North Miami Beach, Fla., attending Florida International University
· Rachel Crosby, of Las Vegas, a junior at University of Florida
· Dana Edwards, of Tallahassee, Fla., a senior at University of Florida
· Katie Greene, of Ocala, attending University of Florida
· Rachel Kurland, of Jacksonville, Fla., a junior at University of Florida
· Maxwell Mattern, of Valrico, Fla., attending University of Florida
· LaCrai Mitchell, of Tallahassee, Fla., attending Florida A & M University
· Kelly Price, of Tampa, attending University of Florida
· Lauren Rautenkranz, of Lake Worth, Fla., a senior at University of Florida
· Leah Schwarting, of Limestone, Maine, a double major at Florida Southern College
· Natanya Spies, originally from Pretoria, South Africa and now living in Naples, Fla., a senior at University of Florida
· Kathryn Varn, of Fleming Island, Fla., a junior at University of Florida